Thursday, November 09, 2006

Scotch Tasting Notes



In a blind taste test of six scotches, these were my reactions to each scotch, my guess as to what the scotch was, and the actual identity of each scotch.

1.
Soft, prolly a blend, drinkable, warm, chewy. I think Johnny Walker Black. Wrong: It was Glenfiddich 12.

2.
More distinct smell, more fire, prolly a single, prolly one of the twelves, more peat, apple cider?, i like the first better, this one lingers more. I think Glenfiddich 12. Wrong: Glenlivet 12.

3.
Rank, caramel, based on just smell I say J&B, I still think J&B based on taste, there is some fruit, going to my head. I think J&B. Wrong: Johnny Walker Red.

4.
A mouthful!, some heat on after taste, a single, maybe the 15, at the end not distinctive, maybe all running together, at least a twelve, my second favorite next to #1. I think Glenfiddich 15. Wrong: J&B.

5.
On smell, it's the second Johnny. It's Johnny Red. Could be J&B. I think Johnny Red. Wrong: Glenfiddich 15.

6.

Probably a 12. Glenlivet 12. Wrong: Johnny Black.

There you go. J&B pulls a suprise second-best showing while Glenfiddich 12 proved to be my blind favorite. To do this tasting, I and two friends bought small, 50 mL bottles of scotch and had someone administer to us a blind taste test. It's a great way to find out which scotches (drinks) you like absence the presence of price tags.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you thought j&b was johnny red? holy hell man, even between these two average contenders theres a big difference in flavour... you need to pay more attention!

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home